Wednesday, December 17, 2008

As Good As New

Every year around Thanksgiving Jim tries to avoid me because he knows it's indoor project time and I always have one in mind. However, this year he thought up his own project and decided to refinish our wood floors. He rented a large floor sander to do the majority of the sanding and then went around the edges with a little palm sander. I truly have never seen so much dust in my life! My scriptures, which were sitting on the dining table upstairs, looked like they hadn't been touched in seven years. One afternoon, during the middle of the sanding, we left to go get some lunch and to do a little shopping. When we returned home we could hear a strange noise, so Jim ran upstairs to find that the little sander had turned itself on and had sanded a perfect circle about 1/4" deep, destroying four of the parquet squares. We are lucky we didn't have a fire and we are lucky that we had kept some of the leftover tiles from when we built the house. How the sander turned on is still a mystery, but we did consider consulting an exorcist for a time. The Christmas tree got put up a little later this year, but the wait was worth it--the floor is beautiful. Great job Jim, but don't think this lets you off the hook for a project I have in mind. Anyone have any suggestions for a new paint color in the upstairs family bathroom?

After and Before

Floor squares destroyed by maniacal sander

Our beautiful, shining floor

3 comments:

Emily said...

The floor is BEAUTIFUL! and as always, so is the tree! I think we always have the prettiest tree!

mandy_moo said...

Everything looks great!! I am realizing though that it's been years since I saw the inside of your house--it looks beautiful!!

Sammie said...

lovely