Sunday, November 23, 2008

Fire!

While Jim and I were getting ready for church today, our lights started to act weird--brown outs, no power, and so on, then we couldn't get the garage door opener to work, then it worked but the motor wouldn't shut off. I left for church with an uncomfortable feeling and it wasn't just because we were running late. I almost asked Jim to drop me off so that I could get in to play the prelude and return home to check things out, but I didn't. I just kept a silent prayer in my heart that we (our home) would be blessed because we were being faithful and attending church. Halfway through the last talk we heard the fire truck go by and I knew that it was headed for our house. I looked at Jim ( I was on the stand--he was in the congregation) and mouthed the word "GO!" He looked at me, I said it again, and he got up and left. Halfway to the door a ward member came in and told him that there was a fire truck at our house. Another member came and got our next door neighbors and for one brief moment I thought, maybe it's their house and not ours. I cannot begin to describe the feelings I had inside and I don't think I heard another word that the speaker said. I'm sure I played the closing hymn and postlude in record time. I saw that Jim had not returned and I was just sick. Jenny came up to the organ and told me that word had already spread around the ward and that it was the power box in front of our house that was on fire. She took me home and I was so thankful to see our home still standing, although we didn't have power again until the evening. We are grateful that the neighbor who drove by and reported the fire wasn't in church for whatever reason and called the fire department who arrived before the flames reached our trees. I was so relieved that I almost burst into tears when I stood on the sidewalk and thanked those men who serve our community so well. Jim tells me that two of the cables leading to our home had burned through and the dirt had turned to glass. Thanks to Jenny for letting me take our dinner over to her house to cook and thanks to my parents for allowing us to move our dinner upstairs when the rest of the family arrived. Jim was also grateful that he got out of Sunday School.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine sitting through church thinking your house could be on fire. I'm so glad this didn't turn out to be a disaster!

Sammie said...

Now that everything is ok I think it's a great story!

Steve said...

Wow--I'm glad the house is ok and especially that you are ok! What a crazy experience!

Joan said...

Wow! that is crazy.....i am the most paranoid person- always checking my curling iron/clothes iron/everything before I leave the house and if i don't i am thinking about it the entire time or calling kaylene to check it for me......
i'm glad your house is ok.