Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Gift of Music

Friday and Saturday night several family members were able to attend The Tanner Gift of Music concert at the Conference Center featuring the Tabernacle Choir, the Utah Symphony, Brian Stokes Mitchell, and Denyce Graves, all under the baton of Erich Kunzel. The program's title was "An American Songbook", so it featured a lot of patriotic numbers, Broadway songs, old standards, and some choir standards like "Come, Come Ye Saints" and "Battle Hymn". It was a wonderful evening and I particularly enjoyed Brian Stokes Mitchell. What an incredible voice and stage presence! From "The Star Spangled Banner" to Broadway, jazz, and ballads, he performed all equally well. I also loved Denyce Graves' rendition of "Climb Every Mountain". (For more on the concert read Sam's blog.) Anyway, the whole point of this blog is the gift of music and how grateful I am for it. I am thankful for those willing to share their talents to entertain and uplift us and I am also thankful for the country that we live in that gives us the opportunity and freedom to express ourselves musically in the way that we want. How blessed my family and I are to have been given our own musical talents and opportunities to develop them. I can't imagine my life without this gift!

0 comments: